Sunday, February 15, 2009

Salvaging our tools and hardware

While I was getting the extra water storage drums out of our storage trailer I realised that water had leaked in and filled all the containers that our tools are kept in.
There were thousands of Rands of tools lying under water.
As well as all of our nails and screws and other hardware.
A real ball ache.
A lot of the water was already tuning a rust colour.
I still haven’t figured out what angle the water was going at to completely fill the inside of closed tool boxes and other storage containers.
But there was no arguing with the facts.
Sonja has taken the kids down to the lodge for most of the day to read in front of the fire and generally chill out a bit.
This suited me perfectly as I needed to salvage all of our tools and equipment.
I have just finished what turned out to be half a day’s work.
There are tools spread out all over the cottage drying, filling every surface.
I basically had to take each and every tool, nail, screw – dry it (with a sacrificed T-Shirt) – spray it with Q-20 (Oil) if it was made of metal – and then laid it out to dry properly.
It took absolute hours to sort through everything.
And I cursed every bloody minute of it.
But now it is done, and as soon as I have filled a last jerry can with rain water, I am off down to the lodge to join Sonja and the kids and warm up in front of the fire.

1 comment: