Friday, February 20, 2009

A Start with Natural Sciences Home Schooling



These are a couple of pics of Skye doing slightly less formal home schooling. I am in charge of educating her about two subjects. One of which is Natural Science. I have brought my old microscope up with me, and we have some pretty fun and exciting reference material to work through.What should be nice for her is that we can do so much of this practically. I noticed a short section on Solar Power in her text book. Well, we have a solar power system that she watched me build and she sees it operate everyday.
This was one of her first lessons. We went for a walk on the beach and collected a number of shells, seaweeds and other interesting items for identification and discussion. Besides working through the test books supplied, she is also keeping a birding list, a list of shells, a list of seaweeds, and spending lots of time exploring, understanding and learning about rock pools, forests, insects, chickens, bees, and various life stock. I think this will give here a good base. During the first lesson I sat down with her, and together we came up with a list of objectives for the first quarter of 2009.
She is very interested in this subject matter, and as long as one keeps it interesting, and down to bite sized lessons, she learns very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment