Sunday, March 29, 2009

Yet another chicken

Got back home last night after pulling an all day drive.
Left Cape Town at 3am and got home at 6pm.
A long drive.
Made longer having a single CD jammed in the CD player.
The CD unfortunately being Phantom of the Opera.
As the CD player looked ill, I thought I would stick in our worst CD just in case, to cleverly test it.
Well, I got it in, but not out. Then had 16 hours of Andrew Lloyd Webber to keep me awake.
Good stuff.

When I got to Bulungula I saw the most amazing rooster.
Giant, with a tail that would put a peacock to shame.
Paid R80 for him.
He was wild as hell. Took two dogs and two men to catch him. He was so angry he got his wings and his legs tied, and was then bundled into a bag.
He lost his tail in the process.
Just what we needed to whip our crew into shape.
Crack the whip and all.
This moring we were outside when we heard a terrible noise.
The neighbours scrawny, flea-bag of a rooster was giving our a real hiding.
They both ran right past us and into our room, making lots of noise and flapping wings and screeching.
I picked up the scrwny one and got it outside.
When I got back, our bloody expensive prince, had his head jammed behind a piece of wood, hiding.
Things are not looking good.
He spent the ret of the day sulking and hiding in our coop.
We have now spent just under R1000 for a single egg (chickens R420, building materials R500, feed R75) ($15 for a single egg)

1 comment:

  1. Charles - Your chicken-raising tales have surpassed mine, and you're just getting started! I'm sorry to tell you that it will probably not get any better. The concept of cooperation never made it into the genetic material of chickens.

    ReplyDelete